Welcome to Meditation-MP3.org
This site is intended to serve as an intelligent guide to meditation (including creative visualization and manifestation techniques) using the amazing new technology of brainwave entrainment. This technology can help you control your mind and brain in ways that previously required a lifetime of dedicated training, enabling you to tap into deep reserves of creativity, intelligence, and intuition; reprogram destructive behavior patterns rooted in the subconscious; help the body restore itself to its natural vigor; and – for those with a spiritual bent – gain access to the hidden, universal realms that connect all life and energy, transcending both space and time.
If you are new to this field, we invite you to explore our site and learn more about the exciting human potentials now available to you. Our blog is regularly updated with thought-provoking articles on meditation and self-improvement in general, and we welcome your participation in the discussion.
On this page, we help you choose (and use) the best meditation audio products to achieve your personal goals. While we recommend a few products strongly, we are also unusual in our willingness to be critical when necessary, and we are not afraid to change our recommendations when something better becomes available or – less fortunately – when a previously trusted producer loses our confidence. Some of the products that didn’t quite warrant a “front-page” mention are examined in the More Reviews section of the blog.
How to Listen to Meditation Audio
Brainwave entrainment audio is not intended primarily for entertainment purposes; this is music with a purpose. As such, there are some special considerations that apply to the use of a meditation MP3 or CD:
- Pick a time that enables you to listen without distractions. We’re not going to get to Delta if the dog wants to go for a walk ten minutes into the session! The time you choose may vary depending on your objective. If you’re entraining deep frequencies to improve your sleep, or you’re experimenting with lucid dreaming (which requires a combination of alert and relaxed frequencies), you may want to listen before going to bed. But if you’re trying to improve your concentration or energy levels, you may need a pick-me-up in the morning before setting out into the world.
- Make yourself comfortable. If you like to meditate in a traditional “lotus” position, that’s fine, but for most people relaxation is promoted by sitting in a comfortable chair or recliner, or lying down. Wear loose-fitting clothing and, if you’re particularly tense, try some stretching exercises beforehand. Don’t drink alcohol or use other mind-altering substances. Peyote will take you on an interesting journey, but that’s not exactly the controlled ride we’re looking for here!
- Never listen to brainwave entrainment audio while performing any task that requires your full attention. No MP3s in the car during your commute! Your mind will be affected profoundly by this experience; this is not elevator music. The only possible exception to this rule is audio that is designed to enhance concentration by targeting higher-frequency Beta or Gamma waves.
- If you suffer from epilepsy or other seizures, have a pacemaker, or are pregnant, you should consult your physician before using brainwave entrainment.
- Use good-quality stereo headphones, but do not use any special features like noise-reduction or bass boost. Such features can interfere with the entrainment signals. (As we discussed under compression, above, we must be careful not to lose these carefully-engineered, subsonic sounds.) And while not all entrainment methods require headphones, you will always get better results by using them.
- What you do – or don’t do – with your mind while listening is going to depend on the product you’re using and your objectives. You may need to let go of all conscious-mind chatter and allow the audio to take you where it will. But if your purpose is to solve a particular problem, you might want to focus on it clearly in the early stages of the session before letting go and allowing the subconscious mind to come up with a solution your conscious mind would never have considered. You may wish to use your own affirmations to reprogram yourself or help manifest a particular goal.
Most of the products we recommend do not use vocalizations (audible or subliminal) by other people; i.e., there is no so-called guided meditation. Our conviction is that you must chart your own course in life; this technology is a fabulous tool to help you take control of your destiny. It is not appropriate for someone else to do that for you by imposing their visions or thoughts upon you. Meditation is the ultimate individual pursuit, and while it does offer possibilities of connection with collective consciousness, it is most emphatically not a team sport. You must be both your own coach and the star player.
How to Choose a Meditation MP3 or CD
Many online vendors of meditation MP3s and CDs have emerged in the last few years, presenting the consumer with a confusing array of options. It is easy to be fooled by second-rate imitators using glitzy web graphics and professionally-written sales copy to sell inferior products at inflated prices. To protect your wallet and your health, let’s look at some crucial points to consider when choosing a meditation MP3, and then apply those to the producers vying for our money.
- Is it clear that they understand exactly how brainwaves affect the mind and are capable of applying that understanding accomplishing the difficult task of entraining a particular frequency (or set of frequencies)? This is a complicated science, and these recordings can affect you in powerful ways. If, for example, you’re trying to stimulate your body’s release of anti-aging and growth hormones by entraining Delta brainwaves, the last thing you want is an amateurish recording that embeds Beta waves instead. Unscrupulous sellers can exploit the fact that you can’t hear the difference – but your brain and body will know.
- Is this a reputable producer who uses professional sound-engineering equipment, or just someone copying other people’s work (very common) or playing around with free software on his own personal computer? Have they been around for a while or are they just out to make a quick buck?
- MP3s are compressed audio files, much as the JPEGs produced by a digital camera are compressed image files. If the compression process is handled crudely (or repeated by multiple re-recordings) then too much data will be lost. This is critical when we are dealing with precisely-engineered recordings designed to entrain subsonic frequencies; i.e. frequencies below the 20 Hz lower threshold of the human ear. If you lose too much data, you might just as well forget about brainwave entrainment and listen to regular music instead. We are looking for a compression rate of at least 256 kilobits per second to preserve the necessary quality. (The higher the bit rate, the higher the “resolution” of the sound file; i.e. the more original data – and the fewer “artifacts” – it contains.) Of course, a CD option solves the compression problem, because there doesn’t have to be any compression on a CD. (Technically, uncompressed audio on a CD has a bit rate of approximately 1,411.)
- Does the producer stand behind his work with a guarantee? Is there any customer support?
- Are there testimonials from satisfied customers?
- Be skeptical of free meditation MP3s, unless they are free samples from an established vendor. We have a whole article on the trouble with free MP3s; the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. Good meditation MP3s really aren’t that expensive anyway, especially when the tremendous benefits are considered. None of this was even possible just a few short years ago, yet now we can effectively control our brainwaves for a small investment that pays handsome returns.
Taking all these factors into account, we feel there are four producers worthy of attention. Between them, a staggering array of human capabilities may be developed.
A Review of the Best Meditation MP3 and CD Producers
Our top recommendation was always going to one place, though it may not be the best pick for beginners. Transparent Corporation is the undisputed leader in brainwave entrainment technology. Many of the other audio products on the market are made by producers who use Transparent’s sophisticated professional software. Fortunately for us, they also make some surprisingly affordable products for personal use. Our second pick had to overcome our inherent suspicion of internet sales tactics, but did so by deploying some of the most thoughtfully-engineered entrainment technology we’ve ever seen. While also not for everyone, it offers an unparalleled long-term mental journey to those who wish to undertake it. Our third choice would be a good starting point for someone just beginning to explore brainwave meditation, and offers many recordings that require only a minimal investment. Our final recommendation goes to one of the world’s foremost researchers into the effects of sound on the brain, whose expertise is reflected in the enthusiastic reviews of his global fan base.
1. The Ultimate Self-Improvement Tool: Neuro-Programmer
PROS: Unrivaled range of capabilities; exciting customization options; surprisingly low price.
CONS: Requires a certain amount of prior knowledge about brainwave entrainment.
In the field of brainwave entrainment, there’s the best, and then there’s everyone else. Neuro-Programmer is an astonishing product. Not merely an MP3 or a CD, it is a complete software application, containing over 120 audio/visual sessions and extraordinary customization features. You can make your experience as simple or as sophisticated as you want, choosing from among this huge array of pre-engineered sessions targeting particular brainwave frequencies or, when you’re ready, creating your own. And that really is the only problem here: the sheer power of the application can be rather intimidating, and for people new to brainwave entrainment, Neuro-Programmer might be too much, too soon. If you fall into that category, we would encourage you to keep this product in the back of your mind as a “next step.” But we would also encourage you to look at the complete session list and think about how much you’re getting for your money. That’s right: the price will surprise you – in a good way.
The sessions included in Neuro-Programmer (the latest edition is known as NP3) cover all the major brainwave frequencies: Delta, Theta, Alpha, Beta, and Gamma, and employ a variety of advanced entrainment techniques, moving far beyond the rather dated method of binaural beats. Sessions are grouped by purpose, and the application helps you narrow the list down by asking you what you want to achieve. To name just a few, there are Gamma sessions for enhanced concentration and focus; Theta sessions for self-hypnosis and affirmations; Delta sessions for sleep induction; and numerous health sessions for overcoming addiction, reducing anxiety, or boosting athletic performance. (The company seems to take particular pride in the testimonials of athletes who swear by the effectiveness of the sessions.) This catalog alone would more than justify the cost of the application, but this is only the beginning of what it can do.
For some users, the most exciting feature of NP3 is the ability to add your own favorite sounds and then allow the program to create an entrainment track around them. Being able to use sounds you like, whether it’s your favorite music or something interesting you find within the application or in the company’s Member Area, greatly enhances the effectiveness of the session – a clear advantage over everything else on the market. You can then export your custom session to your other digital devices in a variety of file formats, including MP3 and uncompressed WAV files for burning to a CD. And, since the brain responds well to novelty, you can constantly adjust your sessions to prevent boredom.
For us personally, the “killer” feature of NP3 is its ability to incorporate personal affirmations or hypnosis scripts into a session, capitalizing on the potential for re-programming your subconscious mind while in an altered state of consciousness. This, of course, is why the program is called Neuro-Programmer. You can record your own voice (preferable) or use text-to-speech functions. The volume of the script is completely at your discretion, allowing for subliminal suggestion, and you can even direct different messages into the left and right ears to appeal to the logical or emotional sides of your brain (a technique called “dual induction”). Without Neuro-Programmer, maintaining focus on a specific affirmation can be very difficult, and the effort required often pulls you back to the less-powerful Beta state. But with NP3 keeping you in an altered state, and no need to police yourself during the session, success is far more likely. And – crucially – you remain completely in control.
Other features of NP3 include the ability to generate on-screen visuals to potentially deepen the entrainment effect or, for those with the necessary equipment, tie in to AudioStrobe devices (basically, custom goggles) or even biofeedback machines. All features are explained by terrific documentation, and backed up by excellent customer support, tutorial videos, and several active forums in the company’s user community.
So, what’s the catch – does it cost an arm and a leg? You would think so, based on a review of these features. Yet Neuro-Programmer – a complete application – costs less than many MP3 or CD products that only do a tiny fraction of what NP3 does. Don’t believe us? See for yourself by clicking the banner below:
2. Train Your Brain to Realize Its Full Potential with the Brain Evolution System
PROS: The most sophisticated and thoughtful entrainment technology we’ve encountered.
CONS: A long-term self-improvement project, not a quick fix – and priced accordingly.
We were invited to try the Brain Evolution System some time ago, but hesitated to recommend the company. At first glance, this appeared to be an absolutely classic case of web glitz triumphing over substance. All the usual signs were there: the pop-up video on the sales page; the long, professionally-written sales copy; the special offers; the endorsements from “gurus” in the self-improvement industry. Clearly, some serious money and effort had gone into the marketing. So, was it basically a set of flashy rims and “go-faster” stripes on an old clunker that could never back up its pretensions to performance? No it wasn’t, because when we looked under the hood, we were seriously impressed with the power and the technology we found. Finally, somebody had made something that actually exceeded our expectations.
The Brain Evolution System is a set of six CDs (with MP3s available for download) designed to train you to control your own brainwaves – and corresponding states of mind – just as you would shift gears when driving a car. This is a long-term self-improvement project, not a quick-fix; the course takes six months to complete, and various maintenance options are recommended thereafter. Rather than targeting only one brainwave frequency, as most products do, it targets multiple frequencies, and it does so in a highly unique and ingenious way. There is a tremendous amount of information on the company’s website – which links off to a myriad of support pages – but the key to it all is the entrainment technology they call the 3-Point Dynamic Entrainment Audio Process, or 3P-DEAP. This method was devised by their primary entrainment engineer, Michael Kelley, in 2005-2006. Instead of relying on just one entrainment technology, 3P-DEAP combines several technologies at once for unparalleled effectiveness. Binaural beats are used for hemispheric coordination; isochronic tones reinforce the message; and special, temporal sounds – which entrain the brain by speeding up or slowing down – add the finishing touch. (We cover this in more detail in a separate technology review.) There is nothing else quite like it.
And it works. One of the great selling-points of the Brain Evolution System (or BrainEv, for short) is that you can access the company’s user forum even before purchasing the system. Free and open discussion of all issues is encouraged by the forum’s moderators, resulting in some exchanges of remarkable personal depth and candor. How about that for disclosure (and self-confidence)? Thus, the reviews on the sales page – which could easily be dismissed as possibly paid for – are verified by real users, reporting their experiences in real time as they work their way through the whole six-month entrainment course. (For what it’s worth, we have been personally reassured by company managers that none of the endorsements were paid for.) The quality of the discussion on the forum, from both users and company staff, provides a fascinating insight into the ethics and caliber of the people involved in the project.
Further bolstering our confidence, there is a 21-day free trial of the first CD and a generous seven-month refund window, which gives you time to use the whole course in the way they intend. (You are not supposed to listen to everything right away; there is a gradual progression through several brain states.) The cost of the system is relatively high (though the company does offer coupon discounts from time to time) but still compares very favorably with other “high-end” producers who don’t offer this level of technology or long-term customer support. (Holosync, by Centerpointe, uses dated technology, takes forever to complete, costs much more, and does not work well for many people.) Finally, the company offers three other brainwave entrainment suites that do not require the same commitment as BrainEv but are more narrowly targeted. Many BrainEv users find these other product suites to be beneficial and complementary to BrainEv itself; we discuss two of these (The Brain Salon and the just-released Nitrofocus) on our blog.
If you’re as serious as we are about harnessing the full potential of your mind – if you would like to train your brain to operate in a much more powerful way – then CLICK HERE to begin your adventure!
3. The Unexplainable Store – Vast Range, Affordable Prices, and A Little Weirdness
PROS: Outstanding compression rate; something for everyone and every budget; ideal starting point.
CONS: Choose your product carefully and avoid the newer gimmicks.
Founded by Jim McElwee, The Unexplainable Store grew to prominence by offering very cleverly engineered recordings that enhance abilities most people never realize they can enjoy. In 2012, Jim sold the store to one of his associates and started a spin-off venture known as Unexplainable Frequencies (which we will be reviewing shortly on our blog). While at the Unexplainable Store, Jim made all his own recordings, and lived on the cutting edge of brainwave entrainment technology. In fact, some of the expansions of the product lineup prior to his departure caused us to wonder if he may have started to go a little too far with some of his newest creations. While most Unexplainable Store reviews wouldn’t say anything remotely negative about Jim’s work (and we didn’t used to, either) we were not entirely comfortable with these later developments, although we recognize that some people may want to experiment and see for themselves. We expressed some of our concerns in our manifestation visualization video review, and our blog includes a more complete Unexplainable Store review that navigates through the latest offerings and gives our recommendations. We find it very interesting, however, that as of 2013 some of these more questionable products appear to have been dropped from the Unexplainable Store’s catalog. While Jim’s creative DNA continues to inform the store’s products, his penchant for pushing the envelope seems to have followed him to his new pastures.
Having said all that, many people over the years have bought the Unexplainable Store’s recordings based on our recommendation, and the vast majority of them have been very pleased. Furthermore, there is no question that The Unexplainable Store still offers some really exciting possibilities at accessible prices. If you can look beyond the oppressive orange color scheme of the site (which, unfortunately, hasn’t changed since Jim left!) and the rather clumsy sidebar menu, you will find a surprisingly wide array of entrainment categories (now up to 68 – more than during Jim’s tenure). This range stretches far beyond “the basics” (like simple Alpha sessions for relaxation or visualization) to embrace more esoteric goals such as astral projection, remote viewing, lucid dreaming, and Christ consciousness, to name just a few. Each objective can be entrained with your choice of binaural beats or isochronic tones, and you may buy recordings individually or in related bundles. If you prefer CDs, you can have a disc mailed to you instead of downloading the MP3.
We are particularly impressed with the quality of these recordings. Jim always insisted on a bit rate of 320 for his MP3s to minimize compression-related data loss. This is exceptionally high quality – any higher and you would need specialized equipment to play the file! (The most discerning listener could always opt for the CD version instead, as the CDs are uncompressed WAV files.) User testimonials are numerous and enthusiastic, and the store stands behind its recordings with an eight-week guarantee. Company-wide customer satisfaction rates average 96 – 98%, which is surely the greatest testimonial of all and, as previously mentioned, a prime reason why we still feel comfortable pointing you in the store’s direction.
With recordings for almost every objective and to suit almost every budget, it is not surprising that The Unexplainable Store has risen to become one of the leading online suppliers of meditation MP3s. To see all the exciting goals you can reach, and to listen to some free samples, click the banner below:
4. Benefit from the Groundbreaking Scientific Experience of Dr Jeffrey Thompson
PROS: The quality and effectiveness you would expect from a genuine expert; massive selection.
CONS: Lack of information about specific entrainment methods being employed.
Dr. Jeffrey Thompson, head of the Center for Neuroacoustic Research, has been working with the healing properties of soundwaves since the early 1980′s. While most of his time is spent in actual medical practice and in consulting with corporate clients, he has produced a huge collection of meditation CDs and MP3s along the way. His recordings are notable for both the effectiveness of the embedded tones (stemming from the depth of his understanding) and also the beauty of the music used as an accompaniment. The full catalog of his work is huge, ranging from ambient to classical music and including all known brainwave patterns. This latter point is what really sets Dr. Thompson’s work apart from everyone else, for it was his own research that led to the identification of the previously unknown brainwave patterns of Epsilon, Lambda, and HyperGamma. (See our page on brainwave entrainment for more on this). If you are interested in exploring this territory, Dr. Thompson is the man for you.